ATTENTION! MY BLOG HAS MOVED! THIS IS MY OLD BLOG. READ FOR YOUR PLEASURE, BUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP UP WITH CURRANT EVENTS IN OUR LIFE, THEN PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.heartofamommytoo.blogspot.com


OR CLICK ON THE HEART OF A MOMMY PICTURE BELOW!

Friday, November 2, 2007

My Grandfather's Clock~ Pun Intended :)


For today's Show and Tell, I would like to show you my mom's Grandfather clock, that was my Grandfather's! My Grandfather died when I was just a baby, so I don't remember him at all. However, my mom says he was a good Dad, and she always loved this clock. My mom was promised this clock once both of her parents passed away.

Mom always called the clock, "Big Ben" because of the deep tones it made when it chimed. Mom remembers the clock being in their large entry way in their home. I believe my mother really likes this clock :) . My mother also said that she remembers her dad faithfully winding the clock at the same time every week.

When Grandma died, I was 15 years old when the clock came to our home, and moved into our entry way also.

So how did I get to have this beautiful clock in my home? Mom and Dad decided it was time to down size, so they sold their home after I was married, and moved into a very nice trailer park. There was no where to keep the clock in their trailer, so I am "borrowing" for the time being. It is still mom's clock, but I am just blessed to be able to keep it our home for her.
When I decided to write about this, I did a little research on the Internet to see if I could find out when the clock was made. In the clock there is this piece of paper describing the clock. It says it was manufactured by Colonial Manufacturing Company in Zeeland Michigan. I could find very little about this company. But the information that I gathered was that they were a very fine clock cabinet maker, and these clocks are considered collectible antiques.

Some of the information said that the company was started around the 20's, and made a lot of clocks during the world wars. It is possible that this clock was made in the 30's or 40's. My mother doesn't know if my Grandfather bought it new or not. She just remembers it always being there.

In my Internet search I found a clock cabinet that looks alot like the one in my house. Here is a picture and a description of that clock. The only difference is that the chimes look much larger than the ones in my mom's clock.

Item ID: 1489 - Ca. 1920, Colonial Mfg. Co., No. 1386, 5 Tube Grandfather Clock. The 92" tall case is solid mahogany with full reeded columns and redwood burl overlay on the base. The original finish glistens. The 12" round dial has a silvered chapter ring with raised brass numerals. The dial center is pierced and beautifully engraved. There are levers on the dial to silence the chimes and the strike. The fine quality, Winterhalder & Hoffmeier movement plays Westminster chimes on 4 tubular bells and strikes the hour on the 5th bell. The clock is in good running order and ready to set up and enjoy. 1489


So there you have it for my show and tell today. Thanks for reading! :) To read about more great show and tell items just click on the Show and Tell button in the beginning of my entry. Have a good day!

21 comments:

Kelli said...

Your Grandfather's clock is just beatuiful! What a special treasure to have displayed in your home!
Kelli
P.s. I re-did your link on my Mr. Linky. The description was too long for the list.

Jean said...

Your clock is just beautiful! Aren't you lucky it won't fit in your Mom's house!

Kristy Jo said...

My husband LOVES grandfather clocks. His parents have one in the house and he ADORES it. His mom one day asked him to put his name on the back of the clock so if anything should happen to them everyone would know that the clock when to my husband! He said he doesnt care if he gets anything else as long as he gets that clock.. and while its a beauty i am hoping we dont get that clock ANY time soon ;)

yours is beautiful too very very nice!

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing and also the story behind it~Sure does make it even more special
~Amy

Hootin Anni said...

That is absolutely beautiful!!!!! A family keepsake that I hope will be passed on for generations to come!!!!!!!!

Priceless.

LadySnow said...

What a treasure!

Tammy said...

So wonderful that you have this family keepsake...and I love grandfather clocks...so beautiful and majestic. Thank you for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

that is a wonderful clock and how nice that you get to enjoy it in your home!

SweetAnnee said...

An Absolute Treasure..you are SO lucky to own it!!
thanks for sharing ...Deena

Quinne said...

Hi :) How lovely! I do love a clock with a rich voice. What a joy to have it in your home! Blessings, Q

Sondra said...

What a beautiful clock and so special a piece of history to own.
Sharon had a clock to show today too :)

Lynne said...

That is a beautiful clock and a wonderful family heirloom. I'm also "showing" clocks today. Must have that "fall back" thing on my mind!

Martha said...

I love your clock. When the pictuer came up I went - "Ohhhh... it is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing,
Jane

Susan said...

What a beautiful old Grandfather clock!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. It's always nice to "meet" new people.
Susan

MightyMom said...

hello and thanks for coming by my place!! cutie kids you've got there!

I love grandfather clocks!

but, alas, my hubby DOESN'T!
well, gotta let him win once in awhile

:-)

it's gorgeous by the way, but upstaged by Mr Blue's EYES!!!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This is a wonderful S&T, great job with the research, etc! What a beautiful grandfather clock! I love the "pun intended!"

I also like that little cutie, you've featured on the Wordless Wednesday!

Katherine

Anonymous said...

I just love old clocks and this one is just gorgeous!

Kimmie said...

I am glad you have such a fine piece with such a nice family history.

My grandmother used to have one from Germany when I was a girl...not sure what became of it, but sure glad you can enjoy your family heirloom.

blessings
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Anonymous said...

What a neat piece of history to have with you!

Rose of Sharon said...

Oh, what a beautiful clock! I have always wanted a grandfather clock. It is so neat that you have one that has been in the family and is a real treasure!

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!

Hugs, Sharon

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Heirlooms--hardly anyone thinks about passing them on anymore. Beautiful clock.