ATTENTION! MY BLOG HAS MOVED! THIS IS MY OLD BLOG. READ FOR YOUR PLEASURE, BUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP UP WITH CURRANT EVENTS IN OUR LIFE, THEN PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.heartofamommytoo.blogspot.com


OR CLICK ON THE HEART OF A MOMMY PICTURE BELOW!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thanksgiving Campfire Tradition

Today is the second day of Giving Thanks, hosted by Kelli at There is No Place Like Home. Just click on the button above to find out more.

For the second day I would like to share a tradition that began when my oldest, Sweetie, was just a baby; about five months old. My parents and other family were gathered at their home for the "usual" Thanksgiving weekend. My parents at the time lived on about two acres of beautiful wooded property.

By Friday, I was getting stir crazy cooped up in the house with too much turkey, so I persuaded my dad and the men to build a campfire. As they went to build the fire, my mom and sister also got a bit inspired, and we found some hot dogs, marsh mellows, chocolate, and Gram crackers.

We made our way out to the fire that the men had built, all bundled up, and stood around the fire making our food, telling stories, singing, and laughing.
The older children (my children's cousins) thought this was so neat that they wanted to do it the next year. So we did. And the year after that, and the year after that. This will be our fifth year doing the campfire after Thanksgiving.

Sadly the cousins won't be around this year. However, I have invited my pen-pal who moved to the same state as I live, and now only lives a few hours away! (Yippee!) She, and her husband, along with their children, Lord willing, will be coming and doing the campfire with us. We will also have my mom and dad, and our good family friend. Perhapes we can persuade my husband's brother to join us also. (hint hint) It is something that started four years ago, and I would like to continue this tradition as long as we can

This is the campfire from the year 2004 up at my parents place. After they moved away from their property, they moved into a very nice trailer park that allows camp fires in an outdoor fire place. Those are my nephews and niece pictured there.
Me with Bean and our good family friend enjoying good conversation. Bean was about 10 months. Look at how long my hair was! After seeing these pictures, I am debating if I should let my hair grow that long again. What do you think?

Well thanks for reading and have a great day. Please stop by Kelli's and read about what other people are doing for Thanksgiving. :)

10 comments:

Edi said...

Great tradition. If we had Thanksgiving at my in-laws each year (great place for bonfire) this would be a great tradition to begin. Actually I might suggest it for this year.

I love fires a lot - my fear though is all the little kiddies that will be around...my kids are not toddlers anymore but their cousins are.

Lori said...

What a fun tradition to start.
We love to roast marshmallows too.
Hope you enjoy your thanksgiving traditions this year.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tradition!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun!

Unknown said...

Thank you for coming by my blog today. I have to tell you I think that 'new' tradition of yours is wonderful! What a very fun family thing to do, and create such a nice memory for everyone year to year.

About the hair ... I am growing mine out too. I am 50 years old!!! And sporting a few grays to boot. But I figure, when it gets long enough I can just clip it up. Long hair that you can put up or back is so much easier than short hair that has to be dried and syled every day.

I say go for it. We'll do it together. Mine is just a bit longer than yours is on your top profile pic.

Have a great week of preparation for the holidays.

Paula said...

What a fun family tradition! Your kids will certainly remember this when they are older.

In regards to your hair...I personally like it longer, but, it's YOUR hair!!! I have mine much shorter than it used to be. It's so much easier to maintain a shorter "do". :)

Blessings,
Mrs. C

~Babychaser~ said...

Such a fun memory!!!

I like your hair both ways, but I really like the way it is now. :)

BAK said...

That sounds like a great tradition. I love the singular things we do that evolve into events that we look forward to commemorating each year, especially the ones that were created when our children were babies. It's almost like bringing them back as they were then, all new and innocent and sweet. Thanks for sharing, and for your nice comments on my blog today.

Anonymous said...

(I came to your blog by way of my sister Becky's blog.) Have to say that I find it fascinating how traditions start, and then the little ones come along and think it's always been done that way, and it wouldn't be a holiday without the tradition. I'm wishing I could start this same tradition, it sounds like a fun one!

Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog yesterday and leaving a comment! I enjoyed reading your post today and the idea of doing a "Thanksgiving Campfire". I am going to tuck that idea away for the grandkids in the future. (our first one is due to be born next May :-) I enjoyed looking at the picture of you and your friend at the camp grounds... as I love camping and it brings back alot of good family memories for me. As far as your hair goes... I guess it depends if you like to have the ability to pull it back. To me, that would be the advantage of having longer hair. Since I'm turning 50 next week... I have decided to keep the hair alittle shorter as I don't want long GRAY hair! Your profile picture length looks really cute too.