ATTENTION! MY BLOG HAS MOVED! THIS IS MY OLD BLOG. READ FOR YOUR PLEASURE, BUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP UP WITH CURRANT EVENTS IN OUR LIFE, THEN PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.heartofamommytoo.blogspot.com


OR CLICK ON THE HEART OF A MOMMY PICTURE BELOW!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Christmas Meme



I found out about this Meme from Mary, at Mary's Writing Nook. I thought it would be fun to participate in it. I am making plans on decorating my blog for Christmas, but I don't like jumping from one holiday to another. Saturday is the day for decorating! Anyway, here is the meme.

1. Christmas is Family Togetherness. [fill in the blank with ONE WORD] (sorry, couldn't do it in one word! ;-) )

2. In memories, what was the best part of your Christmases past? Well, I think the best Christmas was when we went to visit my Grandma who lived in New Jersey for Christmas. My cousins also came, and my Grandma's family were there. It was a HUGE affair, and so much fun! Everyone dressed up in their nice clothing for the occasion. My cousins and I played games like Hide in Seek in my Grandma's HUGE house. My grandma was the best grandma a grandchild could have. She never lost her patience with me, and bought me red lipstick at the tender age of 7!

3. Was Santa ever good to you? [describe how and what] Santa was always good to me! I thought in my mind, I deserve coal, but why do I keep getting really nice gifts? Looking back, I think Santa created a self righteous spirit in me. After all the wonderful things Santa gave me after being naughty so many times, I assumed, I must not be *that* bad.

4. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or both? Sometimes on Christmas Eve and Sometimes both. It just depends on our schedule for that Christmas. We stay pretty flexible

5. Is there something you make each and every year? I try to make those roll out sugar cookies and decorate with icing. It depends if I am getting too stressed out with other preparations. Then I just buy good ol' pillsbury boy dough! ;-) [craft or recipe]

6. What is your favorite five[5] Christmas songs/hymns? 1. O Holy Night, 2. Away in a Manger in the alternate tune, 3.Let it Snow,4. Sleigh Bells in instrumentals, And of course Jingle Bells!

7. Is there a new tradition for Christmas since your childhood days? I don't quite understand the question. I think it is saying is there any new traditions that I do that I didn't do when I was a child? Yes, I have a little manger for the kids. Each day of Christmas we put a piece of straw in the manger. On Christmas day, before the children wake up, I try to put baby Jesus in the manger. Some years it doesn't happen because we might be in another state.

8. Describe one of your Christmas trips. [whether it's across town or across country] Last year we went to Michigan for Christmas. It is about a 1,000 miles away from where we live. We have an older van, that *sometimes* (cough, cough) has problems. Especially on long trips. It is also very tiny. We have three children. Last year my children were four, two, and one years old.

I bought those huge zip lock baggies (the ones that you can fit balls into) and packed the kids clothing in that. I stuffed them under the seats in the van. We had packed the van very tight; so much so that everyone was pretty much hidden.

The kids did really well on the way up. We stopped twice to sleep. Once at my sisters house, and once at a friend's house. This friend was the person that introduced me to Jesus.

When we left our friends house, all of the sudden our heat stopped working. We didn't know what was going on. Thankfully our friends only lived about four hours away from our destination, and we weren't too cold for too long. When we finally were able to see what was wrong with our van it was the water pump. $600 dollars later it was working just fine! :) This year we will be riding with my brother in law in his nice new Suburban.

9. Do you have a special Christmas outfit to wear for the day? When I was a teenager, I made a Christmas dress, but it doesn't fit me anymore.

10. Have YOU or any of your family members sat on Santa's lap? When I was a kid I did. But we don't do Santa here. Even if we did, there are too many creeps in this world. I don't trust a strange man dressed as Santa and have my kids sitting in his lap. Besides, I look at all those poor babies that scream their heads off. Why put the poor thing through so much trauma? ;-)

11. What is/or will be on your Christmas tree this year? A Hodge Podge of ornaments. I don't do a theme on the tree. I like all the different individual ornaments. My mother in law gives a new one to each of the children each year. I also have white lights on the tree. I think white lights look so romantic. Colored lights look too commercial and junkie to me. Now that is my own personal taste and opinion. If you like colored lights, please don't take offense. :)

12. Do you/or have you decorated your yard for Christmas? Not yet. Planning on doing that on Saturday. :) I keep things pretty simple. A Christmas Wreath on the door, and Candles in the Windows.

To participate in this meme, click on the meme button at the top. Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

YOu did a great job with the meme. I'm so glad you stopped long enough to tell me you had participated. I will add your link to the growing list.

The trip sounds wonderful except for the $600 expense, but the thing is you got where you were going, safely and by the sounds of the whole thing....it was a great time. I love the idea of Candles in the Window!!!!

[your wordless wednesday is so sweet too!]

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I enjoyed reading your meme! I love the tradition of putting some hay in the manger each day! So sweet!

Katherine

Stephanie D said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and I loved reading your meme--even the white lights! lol That's what makes us all special, isn't it?

Gattina said...

Oh ! this was very interesting for me and I loved the use to put straw in a little manger I have never heard of it ! I have to tell that this morning in my painting group ! I don't like too much and too colorful decoration on the tree either you can't sometimes not see the tree anymore, lol ! and gardens have never been decorated it started maybe 10 years ago. Windows and doors yes.

MamaJ said...

Hi! I did the Christmas Meme too! Thanks for passing it along.

dabrah said...

I enjoyed reading your MeMe. Especially the piece-of-straw-per-day idea. I only like white lights too, although I do like them to flash! I can't even imagine driving 1,000 miles. A four hour drive is my absolute limit. I think you're amazing to do it with such young children.