ATTENTION! MY BLOG HAS MOVED! THIS IS MY OLD BLOG. READ FOR YOUR PLEASURE, BUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP UP WITH CURRANT EVENTS IN OUR LIFE, THEN PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.heartofamommytoo.blogspot.com


OR CLICK ON THE HEART OF A MOMMY PICTURE BELOW!

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Turkey Cookies and Relish Turkeys

I got a little long winded yesterday, so I am going try and make this short and sweet today. ;)

On an online message board that I am part of, someone posted these turkey cookies. Maybe some of you have seen them before because they are Pillsbury's idea. Just take a look for yourself. :)

I am going to try and make these with the girls once I can get out to the store and buy the needed ingredients. And another idea that I thought was sooooo cute, and also a bit more healthy are "Relish Turkey's. One draw back is that it does take a lot of time to make.

Green olives stuffed with pimento

celery

carrots

Jumbo sized black olives

colored tooth picks

I don't have any pictures to show, and I can't find any on the Internet, so please bare with my directions.

1. Shave/slice the carrots into little feather shapes, and beak shapes.

2. Cut the celery in about two inch wide pieces

3. Slit the black olive towards one of the ends horizontally

4. Pull the pimento out of the green olive slightly, this will be the turkey's little wattle! :)

Now that everything is sort of assembled:

Stick the tooth pick into the middle of the celery piece. The celery acts as the "base" of the turkey, so you want this resting on a flat surface. Put the black olive through the tooth pick all the way down to the celery. Sick the beak shaped carrot into one end of the green olive where you half way pulled the pimento out.

Stick the green olive on top of the tooth pick on the end where you didn't make a slit. This is the head. Now take three of the shaved feather shaped carrots and stick into the turkey's back where you sliced it on one end.

Now you have a "relish" turkey! If I made these (I did once at a church meeting for ladies) for my Thanksgiving dinner, I would make a relish tray as usual, then make enough of these to place all around the tray on the edges or circumference.

OK, I sort of found a picture that *might* work to give you a visual:

Just imagine the melon being the black olive, the head the green olive and the carrot shavings shaped like feathers as the the feathers. If you want to make that turkey pictured that's OK too. ;)

However, when you make a bunch of those little turkeys and place them around the relish tray it looks so adorable! It gives something for your children to do also.
Although, I would try to pre-assemble the beaks and feathers for them. The pimento wattle can be a little tricky too, so you'll have to work with that.

Look at me, I am getting to long winded again! For more Thanksgiving related topics be sure to visit Kelli's. Just click on the "Give Thanks" button at the beginning of my post. Have a wonderful day!


11 comments:

Jenn said...

These are so cute and FUN thanks for sharing with us!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Those are the cutest fun turkey food items I've ever seen! Now the question is..Can I be that creative? Have a wonderful thanksgiving...

Kelli said...

How fun! I absolutley love those turkey cookies!

Kelli

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the turkey cookies, what a wonderful idea!! My boys and I are going to have to try these for sure! :-)

Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

I really enjoy reading all about the Thanksgiving stuff. You have such great ideas

Susie said...

Love those cute turkey cookies. They don't look difficult at all, but the grandkids would love them!
I also enjoyed reading your thankfulness post (below) Your children are each beautiful and true blessings.
xo

Edi said...

those turkey cookies are so cute! And they look like they'd be easy for the kids to do.

I'm hoping we can make some to bring to our Thanksgiving reunion...at least enough for all the kids that will be there.

~Babychaser~ said...

I would love to see those relish turkeys!!! So... selfishly I think you should add them to your to do list next week and snap a picture. That isn't too much to ask is it??? Ok... so I won't be too disappointed, but thanks for sharing! The cookies are really cute too... maybe I will open that bag of candy corn I have tucked up in the cupboard. Mmmm... no, not to bake with... I just want a handful! :)

Um... just for the record... I don't think you're long winded, but I'm not sure I'm credible. :)

Lori said...

What great ideas.
Those are some cute turkey cookies. The relish turkey idea is cute too.
They both look yummy!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try those turkey cookies. How cute!

Marianna said...

How cute those are! I love the cookies especially.