ATTENTION! MY BLOG HAS MOVED! THIS IS MY OLD BLOG. READ FOR YOUR PLEASURE, BUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP UP WITH CURRANT EVENTS IN OUR LIFE, THEN PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.heartofamommytoo.blogspot.com


OR CLICK ON THE HEART OF A MOMMY PICTURE BELOW!

Friday, November 16, 2007

My Favorite Thanksgiving Memory


A few days ago I posted about a favorite Thanksgiving tradition that we have have. Now I would like to write about my favorite memory.

It was the Thanksgiving that I was 16 years old. I will be honest in saying that before, when we had Thanksgiving, it was sort of boring. Just having turkey, and boring adult conversation. That year my sister was newly married, and my parents decided to break the mold, and we didn't do the usual Thanksgiving.

I was allowed to invite my best friend who lived a few hours away for the WHOLE week. I had horses at the time, and we both had fun riding and playing with my horses, and just doing "girl" stuff.

My parents also invited our good family friends, the M's to eat dinner with us. Mr. M is now gone to be with Jesus, and Mrs. M is the same lady you saw sitting with me at the picnic table at our camp fire.

We ate dinner as usual, but then we got really bold and daring. We broke molds that had been built over the years. I wouldn't say "traditions" because they weren't fun for me or anyone else in our family. It was more like the "expected" thing of what you did on Thanksgiving.

After dinner, My friend Amy and I got a video Camera and made my parents, sister and brother in law, and the M's play the "Newly wed, and not so newly wed game." Amy and I came up with some bazaar questions; I held the camera and Amy was the hostess. What fun we had! Everyone was laughing their heads off to the point where we had to take breaks and get fresh air. :)

The next day we got the idea to make a silly video by doing a News Cast. We came up with our stories. My sister and her husband were the anchors, and Amy and I were reporters. My brother in law and sister were also reporters, but they would change costumes and make themselves look different.

My friend Amy tried to make herself look like an Asian reporter by taking black eyeliner to her eyes and wearing bright red lipstick. She reported a traffic jam on our infamous interstate. We lined up all of our cars, and each of us each got into a car; honking and throwing our heads out of the windows and shaking our fists! The funny thing was, it looked pretty real!

We reported about an abandoned dog that needed a new home. We did a sports cast, and a weather report.

It was sooooo much fun. And after we put it all together, we watched it laughing our heads off. It was great!

That was the "best" Thanksgiving I have ever had. And this year as I read about the history of the Pilgrims and their first Thanksgiving, I saw that they too just didn't have a feast, but they also had fun and games. I realized that our out of the mold Thanksgiving wasn't exactly "nontraditional" Just a bit more modernized. :)

See what others are writing about Thanksgiving at Kelli's by clicking on the Give Thanks Button at the beginning of my entry. Have a wonderful day! :)

4 comments:

TJ said...

It sounds like a great Thanksgiving! What a fun memory.

Anonymous said...

"What a great Memory, thank you for sharing with us!!" I hope you are able to stop in for a visit. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
xo Jeannene

~Babychaser~ said...

That sounds like a great time!!! I think some of my favorite memories from childhood (and adulthood too) are times that we broke the mold! :)

JavaMama said...

Oh, what fun! Wonderful memory.. I enjoyed "listening" to it this evening.

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli