ATTENTION! MY BLOG HAS MOVED! THIS IS MY OLD BLOG. READ FOR YOUR PLEASURE, BUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP UP WITH CURRANT EVENTS IN OUR LIFE, THEN PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.heartofamommytoo.blogspot.com


OR CLICK ON THE HEART OF A MOMMY PICTURE BELOW!

Friday, December 7, 2007

June Hannah

I am kind of late getting up my show and tell today. Things are kind of busy around here. I also had company from a good family friend come last night and we have been talking and visiting. :)

Today I would like to show you my *original* Cabbage Patch Doll. This was my ninth birthday present. Ever since the first time I had visited The Baby Land General Hospital in Cleveland Georgia, I had so wanted to adopt my very own *original* Cabbage Patch Doll.

This little girl is named June Hannah. She was born on June 9th, 1990. So she is now 17 years old. ;-) The funny thing is that my first born was born on June 9th, so they share the same birthday. :)

Adopting a baby from the Baby Land General Hospital is quite an experience, and I vividly remember adopting June Hannah. First you go into the waiting room of the hospital and tell the nurse that you would like to Adopt a baby. She will take you through all the rooms showing all the babies available for adoption. She then informed us that there were many Cabbages in labor at the moment, and we could wait for one and watch one be be born.

That is what I decided to do, because I thought it would be exciting to watch a baby being *born*.

Pretty soon it was announced that a mother cabbage was in labor and that she was six leaves dilated. ;-) The nurse was working on the cabbage and pretty soon she a a full ten leaves, and out came June Hannah.

After she was born she was taken to the nursery to be cleaned up. I got to watch this process as well. The nurse "cleaned" her up, put a diaper on her, a T-shirt, a baby hat, and then wrapped her in this cabbage leaf blanket that you see her in now.



I was then given my June Hannah, and we headed into an office and signed the adoption papers. I took a pledge that I would always take care of her. Then we went into the gift shop where there was all sorts of things for sale to help take care of her. I bought her some more diapers and an outfit.

I named her June, because she was born in June, and Hannah which was name that mom liked and she convinced me that I should name her Hannah. :) I like the name Hannah to this Day. I have met many Hannah's since then and they have all been wonderful people. :)

There are rumors that Cabbage Patch Dolls are not *safe* toys for children. If you know what kind of rumors I am talking about, I am just not sure if it is true or not. Sometimes I wonder if people make a bigger deal about things than they should or not. If you don't know what I am talking about, comment about it, and leave me away to contact you and I will explain. Otherwise it is best to not invoke arguments over. ;-)

If you would like to know more about Baby Land General Hospital, click here. It is kind of fun to read about.

To see what others are showing and telling about, click on the button above my post. Have a wonderful day!




9 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

Wow..this post brought back memories! I remember when Cabbage Patch dolls were all the rage. When I first saw them I thought they were the homeliest little things, then they grew on me, then I had to have one:-D My future dh got me one for Christmas that first year they were in the department stores... Do you remember how hard they were to get that year?

I love yours very much!

nannykim said...

hey--you couldn't put comments on this show and tell friday unless you came to your regular blog. I have never heard that story. I only knew they were sold in the stores and expensive for us poor folks and then they were often sold out! My daughter always wanted one and I keep thinking someday I should get her one as a joke. She now has a child of her own and one on the way!! Thanks for sharing such an interesting story!!

Leanne said...

I always wanted one of these...If I had a daughter, I would definitely get her one!
Thanks for sharing!
Leanne

Unknown said...

hey !!! I never got a real Cabbage Patch when I was a young girl... I wanted one.. but of course my girl now has two... so I guess I finally eneded up with one. Yours is so toootin cute. oh. I don't know if you can tell but your comment link is in white and almost can't see it to leave a comment. I just moved to the mouse around to find it... so ya may want to make the link darker. Sweet post !!! see ya XOXO Mica

Jen said...

I remember my first one:) Mine had glasses. It was given to me on the day that I got my first pair of glasses. Thanks for sharing:)

Martha said...

I had trouble posting to your show and tell - not sure if you know that you have to link back to your home page in order to find a comment bar. Just thought I would let you know.

I like your little cabbage patch baby. She is cute. I remember getting some babies myself way back then - although I never went to the hospital and watch one be born! :)

I have heard the controversy - and I have to wonder too myself. I think sometimes people make a bigger deal out of things - then need be. I had several CP babies and I have not ended up messed up!

Thanks for sharing,
~Jane

Kelli said...

What a sweet little doll! I remember my cabbage patch doll too. Her name was Myra Kitty. :0)

Kelli

Lana G! said...

Oh boy that sure does bring back memories!

Hannah June is really cute!

dabrah said...

I remember Cabbage Patch Dolls, I bought one for each of my daughters, and as far as I can tell it never hurt them.
I don't know what rumours you're talking about but I checked it out at snopes.com and found two rumours, both false. The main one is on this link: http://www.snopes.com/business/origins/cabbage.asp
I hope that helps.